Monday, August 17, 2015

the money pit

That house in Plano is popping up again. The woman who had a signed and sealed rent-to-buy contract decided to bail with two weeks notice instead of 60 days. Last weekend was her final move out date, even though her lease ran to October 25th. I was so sure this was going to work out because she made a $4,000 deposit to the company who arranged the deal. To top it off she and her roommates trashed the place. They even had most of the chain link fence I put up torn down for some unknown reason. I will be getting a forwarding address and charging them for the cleanup and the fence. Not that I have a snowball's chance in hell of collecting. I ordered a dumpster today for $400+ so the house can be cleaned out, and that's just for starters.

I have someone looking at the house now and they brought in a contractor to take a look. Turns out when the chimney collapsed last spring, it broke four roof beams too. Why nobody noticed that while they were rebuilding the chimney or patching the roof around it, I don't know. Now the roof has to be partially torn open to get new beams in the attic to repair the structural part of the roof. I'm supposed to get an estimate on that today. And of course no rent coming in now to help pay for it.

The good news is the family looking at the house have agreed to rent it and do some of the cleanup work. They'll probably move in the first of October. They'll be filling the dumpster with the crap the old renters left. It turns out it's Marie and her new husband. You probably don't remember, but Marie is Doug's first ex-wife. She and Doug lived in the house with me back around 2000-2001. At least she knows what to expect and is still willing to rent the place.

That's the silver lining to the whole issue. I think I can trust Marie. My grandson Curtis is 15 now. I must be getting old since I have three that are older :)

No comments:

Post a Comment